Whistle Stop Park

History of Whistle Stop Park

SPRING LAKE DEPOT
The Spring Lake depot and rail yard were located in the block bounded by Main (Cutler), Liberty, Park and State (Savidge) streets. The principal shipments from the Spring Lake station were lumber and fruit. During one period in 1873, Cutler & Savidge Lumber Company ordered 300 boxcars from the Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad agreeing to load them as fast as they were made available. After the lumbermills closed in the 1890s, passenger service kept the line active. The last regularly scheduled passenger train left Spring Lake January 2, 1956. The Spring Lake Depot was closed November 4, 1957 when Bert Parker, the last station agent, reached retirement age. Joe Bisacky saved the old depot by purchasing it and moving it to his auto parts yard on M-104, where it remains in use today as an antique shop.”
Information courtesy of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum