Spring Lake Village Disincorporation
Spring Lake Village residents are being asked to consider disincorporating the Village.
Disincorporation is a legal process that eliminates a government jurisdiction. If the Village disincorporates, it will no longer exist as a local unit of government. After disincorporation, the local unit of government ceases to exist and no longer provides services or levies taxes. Read more about the disincorporation process.
Residents have a voice.
Disincorporation requires a public election and majority approval by village and township residents.
- March 20, 2017 Council approved amending the Village charter to allow for disincorporation.
- May 15, 2017 Governor & Attorney General approve ballot language.
- June 19, 2017 Community Engagement Meetings (Library) at 6:30 pm.
- June 20, 2017 Community Engagement Meetings (Library) at 4:00 pm.
- June 24, 2017 Absentee ballots available. (Contact Spring Lake Township at (616) 842-1340)
- August 8, 2017 Vote to amend Village Charter.
- 2018 TBD Township-wide vote to disincorprate.
- TBD Disincorporation completed.
Community Engagement Meetings
There were two community engagement meetings: June 19th and June 20th.
Community Engagement Sessions Participant Survey